Youth Leadership Program
STEAM for All is thrilled to announce the release of the Online Youth Leadership Program, which is open to rising 7th-12th graders!
Steps For the Program:
- Complete the Canvas course, register using the link below
- Sign up for an on-site YLP class
- Students are not to register for any on-site YLP training sessions until they have finished the online Canvas course. They will not receive the invitation to register for on-site YLP until they have completed the Canvas course.
- Once YLP is completed they will be added to the Volunteer Weekly Mailing List where they will be given several opportunities a week to volunteer.
Rising 7th-12th graders interested in volunteering for STEAM for All can take this course at any time and must then attend one on-site class, held the second Saturday of every month, to complete the program.
To access the course, please register here as a student using this join code: BL3LFM. Note that when registering, you will create a username that will be used as your email every time you log into Canvas again.
Thank you for your interest to serve our community!
The online Canvas course will be available starting July 29, 2019, and can be taken at any time. After completing this online Canvas course, students must attend one on-site class, held the second Saturday of every month starting in August. At on-site classes, students will learn public speaking skills, take roles in real-life volunteering scenarios, and meet current presidents of SFA subsidiary organizations.
Once students complete the online Canvas course and attend one in-person class, they will become volunteers of SFA and immerse themselves in all of what SFA has to offer!
Each student must also submit these forms before becoming a volunteer.
How long is YLP?
YLP consists of three lessons. Each lesson consists of one 5-minute video about certain topics related to volunteering and a 6-question quiz. Furthermore, each lesson should take about 15–20 minutes to complete.
What will be covered in YLP?
YLP will cover the following topics:
- SFA Background Information
- How to be an excellent volunteer
- How to deliver an “elevator pitch”
- Different types of volunteer roles
- How to serve as a leader in your community
- How to properly send emails, following the proper etiquette
How is YLP structured?
YLP contains the following:
- Three lessons about certain topics related to volunteering
- A short, 6-question review quiz for each lesson
- One elevator pitch
It is imperative that all YLP students complete all parts of all the sessions in order to be eligible for volunteering with SFA.
What happens when I finish YLP?
When a prospective volunteer finishes YLP, they are now eligible to volunteer for SFA or SFA subsidiary organizations.
Is it mandatory that I volunteer after completing YLP?
Absolutely not! If you feel that volunteer work with SFA will take up too much of your time, you are welcome to not volunteer. However, please keep in mind that our volunteers have to review your work, provide suggestions, and manage your contact information. We urge you to assess your interest/schedule availability before committing to YLP.
How can I get a leadership position with SFA?
All volunteers are leaders of their communities, and YLP will prepare all volunteers to serve their community to the best of their individual abilities.
Board positions can be acquired after a minimum of one year of SFA volunteer work.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
How to register for volunteering after YLP is completed-
- Go to voluntu.io
- Click “create an account” and input the information asked for (only email and password)
- This is just basic information, set up to make the initial registration much quicker than it was before. The rest of the information is in the edit account section, and it would be wonderful if volunteers could also fill in at least their personal information (name + birthday + PVSA information). If you want to be eligible for a PVSA award, you have to fill out the personal information section.
- Choose an organization and start tracking!
How to track your hours –
After every meeting/event go on the Voluntu application and click on track hours, enter your hours using military time, and then wait for your supervisor to approve your hours.